October 20, 2007

My friend Jon knows what I am feeling. Would he do what I did tonight?
An unqualified yes, to that question. A dear, dear wish for Jon and her.

Four hours on the phone tonight with her, confessing it all, hearing that and more.
Laughing, screaming, doubting, and laughing again.

To the point where fatigue set in, in her, in those wilderness mountains.

"Talk me to sleep," she asked-
"I will, goodnight." I replied.

later, only half an hour in, I'm talking about my home's tin roof, and the sounds of rain and of hail on same.

Drowsily, she comes back to say, "enough".

Reminding me that I can bore even the drowsy to the edge, when I speak.

Ahya`ett`ettohnoyahA`.

Choctaw, for 'Sleep, cherished'. I told her.

But after she had already hung up.

Posted by Wendell L. Scotchpoodle, NOT the Localmalcontent.

2 comments:

One Southern Belle said...

Hey,

I just now read this--I hadn't seen it before. Naturally, I have some questions...though you tell me you don't like questions. May I ask anyway?

Who is Jon? What does he know that I don't know?
Was it really four hours? It didn't seem that long to me. Then again, you know what they say about time flying when you're having fun. And, as far as confessing goes, well, I suppose the same could be said about me--and I'm perfectly okay with that. I trust you.
I am so grateful you talked me to sleep. And I was never bored. You have a kind voice--and right now life can get kind of scary for me. I am indebted to you.
I used to live in a house with metal awnings--love the sound of the rain--beautiful cadence--it drones--and then lulls me to sleep.
I am sad we haven't chatted again. Am I expecting too much? Am I being a silly girl?

Are you bugged that I saw/read this post? How would you like me to respond?

Ahya`ett`ettohnoyahA`.

Posted by Scarlett, NOT OneSouthernBelle.

One Southern Belle said...

You are poetic...even under the influence of spirits! I am really disappointed you've never responded to my comment here. Thoughts????